Ubuntu 11.10 is released on Thursday and we are running an install party in the Central London. The party aims to help people try-out and work with the Ubuntu Linux distribution and anything mildly related.
The party will be held on 16th October, 12 noon till around 5pm and will include installing Ubuntu Linux, discussing everyone’s favourite applications and generally how to have more fun and still be productive.
Turn up, bring your laptop or sit with someone else to learn or help out. Bring a USB stick to get a copy of Ubuntu you can run at home without installing anything (you can install when you’re ready). Have a read of the Ubuntu manual and ask questions.
- A laptop to run / install Ubuntu (or you can pair up with someone)
- A USB memory sticks 1GB or greater - bring additional if you want to try alternate versions of Ubuntu
- Lots of questions and enthusiasmThere will be electric sockets to plug your laptop into. I will bring a few socket strips with me, but if you have a particulary bad battery I would appreciate it if you can bring a two or four power socket extension.
Installing or runing Ubuntu live on your laptop (creating usb sticks with the Ubuntu live image)
I can kick start some discussion on one or more of the following topics, depending on interest. I’d like to make any talks as interactive as possible, so if you have anything to say don’t be shy.
- Whats in Ubuntu - most popular applications - Firefox, OpenOffice,
- How to get help - web sites, forums, irc,
- sticky issue of multimedia - codecs
- package manager
- installing 3rd party software
- file backup - Ubuntu One, etc
- Image manipulation with the GIMP
- Video editing with Open Shot
- Java, Scala, Clojure, Netbeans, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Glassfish / tomcat
- safe browsing in Firefox
- isolated desktop - OS on USB / SDCard
- repairing hard drive failures
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 ShareAlike License, including custom images & stylesheets. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at @jr0cket