I help organise a monthly social for the London Java Community and am always on the lookout for way to get our members talking. One of the ways we do this at the social events is to have greeters, to help our new (to the event) members find people who know about the things they are interested in.
In a moment of creativeness, I also thought about having posters on the wall of the social event, so people can see what other members are interested in talking about. I thought of kind of a rogues gallery, which kind of lead onto the idea of a western style wanted poster.
Using my favourite open source graphic design toolkit (MyPaint & Gimp on Ubuntu) I created the a western style wanted poster of myself.
I initially drew the poster in MyPaint and saved the concept as a portable network graphics (PNG) file.
I export the mypaint drawing using the transparent background.
Opening the concept drawing in Gimp, I cropped the size of the poster to what seemed to be the right dimensions, then added a suitably (less than happy) mugshot of myself.
I wanted to have a paper feel to the poster and make it raggedy too, so it looked like the poster had been around for a while (as have I). I filled in the background of the poster with a medium dark brown colour, with a little bit of opacity, filling in any gaps in the text that the fill tool missed.
Using the FX-Foundry filters in the Gimp, I used the Texturizer (FX-Foundary > Selection Effects > Texturizer) to apply a paper pattern. Then I added Berchovic Lomo effect (FX-Foundary > Photo > Effects > Berchovic Lomo) to give a glowing boarder to the poster. This made the poster a little too orange around the boarder, so I also applied a Gothic Glow on top (FX-Foundary > Light and Shadow > Gothic Glow).
To add some finishing touches to the poster, I saved it in Gimp again as a PNG file and opened the poster in MyPaint. Using the Ink Eraser tool I made the edges look like they has warn away and placed a few holes in the poster. Using a charcoal tool, I coloured around the edges of the holes I made to give them a wear and tear or burnt feel to them.
To finish off I used the spray tool to add a little more ageing to the poster in general and saved the poster. Opening the poster back in Gimp one last time to check the poster is nicely cropped and the poster is done.
From idea to finished poster took about 45 minutes, some of which was deciding what to write on the poster in the first place.